Friday, May 20, 2011

Two are Better Than One



“In Hebei, China, a teenager named Lui Shi Ching, 16 years old, has carried his friend to school daily for the last 8 years. His friend Lu Shao has a congenital disorder which makes it difficult for him to walk.
Eight years ago on a rainy day, Lu shao was stuck at school when his mom didn’t come to pick him up. Lui Shi Ching, who was smaller than Lu Shao, decided to help and carried him home. Since then, he has carried Lu shao to and from school and even to restrooms.Lui Shi Ching didn’t brag about his good deeds too much; his parents didn’t even find out until 4 years after he first helped out his friend.Lu Shao mentioned in his diary that Lui Shi Ching’s help has lifted a dark cloud in his life and let sunshine into it.”



story taken from ibtimes published on May 5th, 2011

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12


"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.


 Galatians 6: 2 "Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ."

Stories like the one above take my breath away. In this dark world where there is pain and misery and hardship on every side, it is amazing that friendships like this one still bloom.  It makes me think of David and Jonathan's friendship, and certain friendsof mine  who have done the same for me as Lui Shi Ching has done for his friend. They may not have carried me to school every day for eight years, but they've stuck by me through thick and thin.  I thank God for them.

This pairs' example of the give and take in friendship is certainly heartwarming, and it made me tear up when I first read it, but it also got me thinking. There is  One Who Sticks Closer Than A Brother, and He has carried me for decades through this contumelious life.  And He calls me friend. 

How has Christ carried you this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment